Monday, July 11, 2011

Week 3 as a Trainer

Right now we're in a "severe thunderstorm watch" and outside of the library the thunder is cracking SO loud! Last night we were told that the heat index was going to be over 100 degrees. And now it's pouring outside - but it's still warm outside. Crazy Ohio weather!

I forgot my planner at the apartment so I'm not sure how well I'll do at talking about my week. My planner is like my brain - I write eeeverything in it, that way it gives me less to remember. Let's see...

Last Monday the Vermillions came up to Toledo and went out to Olive Garden with Elder Haines and me! It was SO awesome to see them!! One of the perks of being back in the Toledo Stake! ;)

Wednesday we had a Leadership Training Meeting in the Kirtland Stake.
I had to do another musical number :S and this time had to organize it long-distance! We put it together the morning of since Elder Bills and Sister McAllister live hours away from me. It went very well; the song is called The Olive Tree. All about missionary work. The meeting itself was very uplifting and instructive. It was fun to see all the Zone Leaders and District Leaders who I'm friends with and (since I'm not a Zone Leader anymore) don't get to see or talk to as often.

The Tuesday before our meeting, Elder Perkins and Elder Haines (companions in Perrysburg) and Elder McMillan and I exchanged since Elder Haines and I would be going to Kirtland together for the meeting. Before we headed to the apartment where we were going to be staying the night, we decided to get some homemade ice cream at this REALLY good ice cream place (Handles). While we were in line, a man was staring at us and asked if we were Mormons. We talked and found out that his daughter had dated an LDS guy a few years back. He invited us to sit down with him and his friend and we talked about our church a little bit. We asked if he would be interested in us coming to his home to teach him more and he agreed. We taught him the next Thursday. He is very familiar with the Bible and is an overall very smart man (former Lawyer). We taught him about the Restoration and Book of Mormon. He thought it was interesting but wouldn't commit to anything until he investigated further (like any good lawyer would).
We will be calling him this week to see if he had a chance to read any of the Book of Mormon.

Kathleen dropped us. We're not sure why. Says she's moving to California. Her roommate told us she's lying. Haha The grandmother and her grandchildren didn't come to church. "Next week!" they say... (Just come to church!) The Johnson Family had their baby! So we're giving them some time before we got back over.

Otherwise I don't have too many things to report on. We're being fed very well! Elder McMillan continues to learn quickly and is not afraid to step outside of his comfort level. The church is still true here in Ohio, and I still love my mission! Sorry I don’t have more to say!

I’ll end with a cool quote from C.S. Lewis I read in my studies today:
“Pride gets no pleasure out of having something, only out of having more of it than the next man. … It is the comparison that makes you
proud: the pleasure of being above the rest. Once the element of competition has gone, pride has gone.” (I think it's from his book, Mere Christianity or something... I got it from President Ezra Taft Benson's talk, Beware of Pride).

Pride is the universal sin. To have the Spirit with us, we have to get rid of it. To have love in our hearts, we have to get rid of it. To be truly happy, we have to get rid of it. …Get rid of it. :)

Love, Elder Dransfield



Dinner out with the Vermillion family

No comments:

Post a Comment