Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Being a missionary means getting invited to many Graduation parties. Graduation parties means food. Food + Missionary = A Happy Missionary!

We had a slower week this week, but great things are happening.

Brother and Sister Neville have received their answers that the Book of Mormon is true and are immersing themselves in the gospel completely. After church, our Relief Society President gave Sister Neville a hymnal to practice the songs for when she plays in Relief Society. After church we got a text from her telling us how she played the first 50 songs when she got home from church - the only reason she stopped was because her fingers got tired! (I wish that was my excuse for not playing!). The Nevilles love church and the ward loves them!
And we love them! Every time I see them, I think to myself, "Man...I am SO lucky to get to teach these two!" They are extremely complimentary towards us for how much we've opened their eyes and helped them to grow. Again, I feel like they help me grow, because in all of our lessons I seem to learn something (whether it be about doctrine or the Spirit or the love our Father in Heaven has for each and every one of His children).

-- tornado sirens just went off--

In our last meeting with them, we brought over our Relief Society President and her husband (whose in the Stake Presidency) and decided to go off-roading missionary-style! Instead of teaching one of the lessons missionaries are required to teach investigators before baptism, we prayed about what their needs were and planned a lesson around the Holy Ghost and how we receive answers. Usually this topic is explained in each principle we teach, but we wanted to focus merely on that. As missionaries we talk a lot about how we need to "teach people, not lessons," which is exactly what we did. It was in this meeting that we found out that they have both received their (tearful) answers and that they know the church is true. I wish everyone would pray about the Book of Mormon! Sheesh! What's stopping everyone??

This week we also set up a church tour with Sister Hart (she gave us the referral for her mother in Colorado the week prior). Sister Hart has never come to church because she has social-phobia; I think is what she called it. We addressed her concerns and explained the purpose of a church tour which she was very comfortable with. We will be conducting one this Saturday with members of the ward in hopes that this could resolve her fears and that she can feel the special Spirit in the chapel.

Lately as a mission, we have been focusing on street contacting - this means talking to everyone who is in our paths. We as missionaries have to realize that we may feel prompted to stop-by a less-active not necessarily for that member, but maybe for someone who we will be crossing paths with. It's pretty nerve-wracking to walk up to someone who is washing their car who probably doesn’t feel like talking about religion. But when we act on those promptings to talk to someone and put ourselves out there, Heavenly Father will bless us and will help us find those of His children who are ready to hear the message of the Restoration.

Now for some random things: I got my hair cut by one of the missionaries I live with (Elder Hinds) and it actually looks pretty good! It’s short, but I like it! --- Elder Haines (who I served with in Findlay, Oh) had a lawn mowing accident and broke the joint in his right, big toe! He is now on crutches and with only 2 ½ months left has to make the decision of going home early. I sure hope he doesn’t!!! --- The Canton-area has been having some crazy weather, such as hail the size of baseballs. Luckily the storm passed over us before it spewed out that kind of damage! --- We taught a former Mennonite a second time who wanted to see if he could make us “tick.”
He failed. We agreed that we probably don’t need to meet anymore. Nice guy! --- We helped a family move last Tuesday and their air conditioner was broken! Luckily their otter-pops made everything okay
--- We have a baptism coming up in a few weeks for Sister Hughes (I haven’t written much about her, I’ll talk about her next week probably). That’ll be exciting. --- Tomorrow I have a meeting in Cleveland from 10am to 6pm! Long day ahead!

Well… I think I’m out of things to talk about. I’m grateful for all the experiences I’ve had on my mission thus far and look forward to more wonderful people I’ll get to meet! These past 8 ½ months have flown by, and I imagine that my mission will just continue to fly.
I’ve learned so much about myself, about others, but more importantly about our Heavenly Father and Savior. I’m grateful that we have a loving Heavenly Father who has blessed us with eternal families, inspired prophets, and continual revelation. A Stake Patriarch was once asked what he notices the most in the many blessings he gives.
His response:  Oh the love, the love God has for His children. I know that God lives. I know that He loves us. I know that Jesus Christ is our Savior and Redeemer, our elder brother who suffered for each and every one of us. I know that families can be together forever. “And how do ye suppose that I know of their surety? Behold, I say unto you they are made known unto me by the Holy Spirit of God. Behold, I have fasted and prayed many days that I might know these things of myself.
And now I do know of myself that they are true…” Alma 5:46. I know these things just like Alma knew these things. Have a great week!

Love, Elder Dransfield

No comments:

Post a Comment